Monday, November 1, 2010

Some of October 2010 :)

Conference Weekend
I just thought this picture of Sinjin helping Daddy out in the kitchen was cute. I don't even remember what they were making, but I'm sure it was yummy! This was conference weekend and you can see what Tait did to keep himself occupied as he listened to the speakers... He is always concocting a new way to play with his Mighty Beanz.

Then we tried a new bread recipe trying to duplicate Grandma Sycamore's bread.  It was really good on the first day, but then it dried out just like every other recipe we have tried.  Darn it!

Tait's New Pen Pal
Tait has a new pen pal from Africa.  He wanted me to take a picture of him in his scout shirt and with Sadie so he could send it in a letter to his pen pal.  He is really excited to learn more about how he lives.

Huntsman Senior Games
For 2 weeks in October I had the privilege to take pictures for the Huntsman Senior Games.  It was actually a LOT of work, but a lot of fun too.  I was on the track at Snow Canyon when the 2 boys waiting outside for their ride were struck by lightning.  I heard the crack of the thunder, and ran to the bathroom so I could pack up my things.  I could also smell burning, so I knew it struck close.  When I came out of the bathroom, the ambulance and fire truck were just pulling up.  Very scary, and so glad that the boys are doing well.
These old men are a lot of fun, as long as you don't come across a Grumpy Old Man :)

Staheli Farms Field Trip
Tiernan's class had a field trip to Staheli farms.  I was so glad that I went along.  I learned a lot too!  Here Tiernan is petting a Hen, they had just got done learning about breeding animals, and how every breed is bred for a special job.  In the next picture, I know it's hard to see, but this guy is holding up a knife with a piece of apple on it.  That piece of a whole apple represents how much soil is left on the earth for farmers to cultivate.  It's a precious resource.
Here the kids are able to feel the different types of earth.  Sand, silt and clay.  Then they got their hands wet and made mud.


They were all walking around trying to figure out how to clean off their hands and the farmer said "Here on the farm we shake off the excess, rub our hands together then rub it on our face!"  So of course the boys had to follow along.
Here is the class waiting to hear about bee's and ducking as they get dive bombed by them! :)
This bee keeper was pretty funny, but I think he scared them a bit talking about African Killer bees!  He talked to us about how no plants would grow without bees, then he let us try 3 different types of honey.  Yum!

Here the kids learned about wool.  Poor sheep had to be strapped to that thing the whole morning.
Learning about cows from this rancher was a lot of fun too.  We learned that "Cows Give Us ZIP" zinc, iron & protein.

Then we got to wash our hands, and have a slice and chocolate milk.  Then we learned about how long it really takes to make a pizza if you had to grow and raise everything yourself.  Depending on the toppings you want on your pizza, it could take 2-5 years!!  Tiernan still talks about that!

0 comments: